One of the first things I think journalism advisers need to master is creating systems to keep track of kiddos.
Once the staff in announced for the following year, create this in a Google Form. They’re super easy to make, share and pull the data from.
- First Name
- Last Name
- Staff (Yearbook or Newspaper) – so you can easily sort the list later
- Cell Phone Number
- School Email Address – if required
- Summer Email Address – if they don’t check/have access in the summer
- Birthday – to make a list easily later
- Parent’s Name
- Parent’s Cell Phone
- Parent’s Email
- Favorite candy – so helpful for editors/treats later!
- Favorite drink – so helpful for editors/treats later!
Options you may consider adding (especially if you’re a new adviser):
- New or returning staff member
- Editor or manager position
- Favorite thing about staff last year (returners)
- What you’re most looking forward to (newbies)